Friday, May 18, 2012

Montessori Madness



The title of this post, well actually anything followed by 'Madness' automatically makes me think of REEFER MADNESS. However, I can assure you, this is not about herbs. Sorry stoners we'll save that discussion for another day.

So as of last week i am officially a 'Montessori' mommy, add that to my crazy list if you'd like. Here are the top 3 reasons why we decided to uproot our kids from the traditional daycare they'd been at for 2+ years. I will dedicate another post in the near future to explaining what exactly the 'MON-TA-SORE-EE' method is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 NUTRITION:

Their particular school is a SUGAR FREE ZONE! Can we say HALLELUJAH? I hate to be 'that' mom, but once you read this article you may understand. Not to mention my sweet angel of a daughter practically needs an exorcism after she eats ice cream. No more ‘specials’ i.e. dum dums on display in the classroom for her to drool over all day & no more fighting for ‘specials’ when it’s time to go home and eat dinner!! Also, they have the option to bring their lunch (which i pack in either a goodbyn lunchbox  or a lunchbots food container). When mom is being a bum, they have the option of a well rounded, fresh, hot catered meal for $3.00 a day!! Heck yes! I hated that i had no control over what they ate for 2  of 3 meals at their old school. Problem solved.

 EDUCATION:


On top of the Montessori basics that differ from a traditional classroom they now have 'Extra Curricular' activities built into their school day. Everyday they have one of the following classes: Mandarin Chinese, Gym, Music, Library, Spanish & Computer. Let's face it, not many daycares offer these options and - I - do not know how to, play guitar or piano, speak Spanish or Mandarin or have the patience to let my 3 year old, play on my Macbook. So needless to say this is a VERY exciting oppurtunity for my little ones. I am one stoked momma!

CONVENIENCE:


We save about 45mins to an hour a day in driving time, since their new school is located MUCH closer to our house! woohoo!
Also, and this is controversial for an artsty fartsy crunchy hippie weirdo mom like me, but they are required to wear uniforms (GASP) everyday except Friday. Surprisingly this rules my life becuase I have a million times less laundry and secondly because i have a million times less stress in the mornings. That's enough reason for me. Bring on the plaid jumpers and polo shirts! Please note the irony of all this, considering less than 10 years ago i was sitting in 11th grade writing a persausive paper on why uniforms are so Terrible and EVIL!! Oh life you are sooo hilarious!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who knows if it's a better than home school, or no school or traditional daycare. I sure as hell don’t know! I do know that it is what's best for our family right now...and  I'll most definitely let everyone know in a few years, whether it 'worked' or not. ;)


Okay enough already, time for zee pictures!!

^^ I Die! ^^

1st lunch I've ever packed!

I would call this a 'fake' smile, but she legitimately smiles like this. 


What the hell is going on here?

On our way!!

Unrelated, tears.



Places to go, people to meet!


My little food dude, ready to chow down with his new bros!



Sisters turn.



Stop it right now. I will melt on the floor right here. 

Making herself right at home working on some ART!


So far so good, They have adjusted really well and i can relax now! Oh and Addie's ATTITUDE problem seems to have  disappeared....almost. ;) 

Kindly,
.Shell.








2 comments:

  1. Dude. Cutest kids ever. Seriously. CUTEST.
    And YAAAY for Montessori!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel! you crack me up! thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete



blogger template by lovebird